The Excelsior Academy was the birthplace of kings.
More specifically, it was a private school where the wealthy and powerful sent their children to learn the ways of power and responsibility. Whether through business or politics, graduates of Excelsior were expected to become rulers of men.
However, the truth of the matter was that it was a high school, filled with all manner of social drama. With the addition of Excelsior's imperialistic philosophy, however, social drama became social warfare. Verbal jabs and false rumors were the weapons with which the students fought, seeking to better their own reputations. No one was immune to the words of his peers.
No one except Bruce Wayne.
Bruce was an oddity in Excelsior. While the other students spent their time focused on each other, Bruce only paid attention to what mattered. He was a practical young man, rarely indulging in social activities that he was not required to. Those who interacted with him normally found him to be a generally affable person, and he spoke rather eloquently. The girls in particular were somewhat fond of him, as he was the very definition of "tall, dark, and handsome." However, those few who managed to get under Bruce's skin often found themselves subject to his angrily piercing stare, which was almost physically painful to look at. In those moments, Bruce seemed possessed by a kind of darkness that no one quite understood.
At lunchtime, Bruce sat down at his usual table, eating his meal in silence.
"Lex is after you this year."
Bruce looked up to see Oliver Queen sit down at the table next to him. Blonde-haired and reasonably handsome, Oliver was Bruce's only friend at Excelsior. Bruce seemed unsurprised at Oliver's warning, and didn't even make eye contact as he responded.
"How is that different than last year?" he asked.
"Well, for one thing, he's making up all kinds of stories about you. I swear, it's like he's mutating into a woman or something."
Bruce was normally unconcerned with rumors, but this time things seemed different.
For Oliver to actually bring it up... it must be important.
"What's he saying?"
"Oh, he's saying that your parents were murdered in a dark alley somewhere, right in front of your eyes, and that the reason that you're so quiet is because you're mentally disturbed from seeing your parents' bloody carcasses, yada yada yada..."
Bruce was silent.
Oliver suddenly became worried. "Wait, Bruce... that's... that's not true, is it? Your parents, I mean?"
Bruce paused for a moment, then nodded.
Oliver was shocked. He leaned back to take a deep breath, then rubbed his hand over his face in shame.
"Bruce... I'm so sorry; I didn't know. I knew your parents weren't here in Metropolis, but I... I thought maybe they were just back in Gotham, running the company or... or something like that. I... I don't know what to say."
"It was eight years ago, Oliver. It's alright."
Realization hit Oliver's face. "Wait a second... so does that mean that you're the heir to your family's fortune?"
"Yeah. The money, the property, the company shares, all of it."
"Bruce! You're going to become a multi-billionaire when you turn eighteen?!"
"Yep. February 19th."
Oliver leaned back to think.
"Huh. That would explain why Lex wants to take you down, then."
Bruce gave him a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"
"Well, Lex's father is the president of LuthorCorp. LuthorCorp and Wayne Enterprises are competitors in the tech industry, right? So maybe he thinks he has something to prove against you."
Bruce wasn't exactly convinced. "He wants to start a high school feud to make his daddy proud? Not likely."
But something tugged at the back of Bruce's mind, until finally it clicked.
"Wait. How many of the seniors this year come from families with corporate power of some kind?"
Oliver thought for a moment. "I dunno. About half a dozen. You really should pay more attention to something other than books, y'know."
Bruce didn't pause. "And how many of those are in Lex's group of friends?"
Oliver suddenly realized what Bruce was getting at. "All of them..." he said with surprise. "Actually, from what I hear, Lex is being set up with his own sub-division of his father's company when he graduates. If he can make allies out of these kids, he might be able to get a lot of support against you when you both take control of your companies."
Bruce rubbed his forehead in frustration.
Oliver just sat in disbelief. "I can't believe it. Everyone always told me that high school drama wouldn't matter in the long run. Now it apparently does."
Bruce tried to relax himself. "It probably won't matter. Wayne Enterprises is too big for just a few kids to take on."
Oliver was more concerned. "I wouldn't count on that. Haven't you heard about the Luthors?"
"Of course. But what about them?"
"They're dirty. They play the 'we're a clean business' angle, but everyone on the street around here knows that LuthorCorp has all sorts of illegal stuff going on. What's worse is that there are rumors of LuthorCorp actually taking over the majority of businesses in Metropolis, and practically turning it into one big corporately-owned city."
Bruce squinted one eye at Oliver. "How do you know anything about 'the street?'"
Oliver smiled proudly. "I like to keep in touch with the average citizen; the 'little guy.'"
Bruce gave his friend a joking grin. "You actually don't like corporations, do you?"
Ollie was brief and resolute in his answer. "Nope."
Bruce kept the grin on his face. "And yet you technically own one."
Oliver was casually defensive. "Hey, Queen Industries is non-profit. Or at least it will be once I actually get control over it."
Oliver suddenly had a thought. "Man, look at us. Two teenagers trying to figure out the socio-economic effects of whole corporations. What do regular guys our age talk about?"
"Girls, I think."
"Hmm. Okay then. What do you think about her?" Oliver pointed to a red-haired girl across the room.
Bruce looked over at her, then simply said "I've seen better."
"Oh, right, because you have that girlfriend of yours. Tell me, why have I never met her? Could it be that she doesn't exist?"
Bruce was slightly annoyed. "You haven't met her because she doesn't attend Excelsior."
Bruce thought for a moment.
"...Actually, she can probably help me with this problem."
Bruce pulled out his cellphone, dialed a number, and spoke when he heard a familiar "hey you" on the other end. "Hey, can you do a background check on Lex Luthor for me?... I need to know anything that might link him or his family's company to any illegal activities.... Thanks. Do you want to meet me back at my place when you're done?... Great; thanks. I'll see you then. Bye."
Oliver gave Bruce a weird look.
"You're having your girlfriend do your dirty research for you?"
"Shut up, Ollie."
*dun dun dunnnnnn*
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!
~Kendra